tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject [Catalina] Re: WebDAV, DefaultServlet and Resources
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:18:12 GMT
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> >
> > WebDAV support
>
> I'd just like to suggest that it be labeled an example at this point?  The
> mission of Tomcat (and therefore Catalina) is to provide a reference
> implementation for Servlets.  WebDAV is clearly outside that mission.

I was not the one who suggested adding that in the first place (it was long
ago in the TODO list for Catalina). Given my experience with WebDAV, I just
volunteered to do it.

> I'm also a bit queasy about providing an example which require more than
> the standard servlet API; but I believe this can be worked.

True. That's why I was considering both solutions (filesystem, or the
Resources interface), and asking for comments. Basically, it's a choice
between flexibility and compatibility.

Remy