tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Korthof ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: VOTE: JDK1.2 compiler
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:19:37 GMT
On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 costin@costin.dnt.ro wrote:

> I want to know where do we stand with this issue: please send your vote
> about removing the requirement of a JDK1.1 compiler.

-1 on removing support for compilation w/ a 1.1 VM (contingent on me
actually having time to fix this, though)

I'm up for moving to 1.2 -- I far prefer it to 1.1.  However, if we agree
that we're going to support 1.1, then I think removing support for
compilation under a 1.1 VM is the wrong choice ...

We can say that we'll test w/ 1.1, but how thoroughly are we likely to
test things?  Especially with the lazy class resolution which JVMs provide
at runtime.  IMO the compiler is the best place to do this testing --
that's the point of strongly typed languages: automated testing, including
dependancies.

Saying that we need to run under 1.1 does add to the work required to add
code/maintain tomcat -- we need to avoid 1.2isms in most of the code.
Removing the requirement that tomcat compile under 1.1 won't change that.

Anyway, my veto is contingent on me actually having time to work on fixing
it.  I'm happy to work on addressing the issues which you brought up,
Costin -- at least the ones which can be solved with changes to build.xml.

What are the problems w/ taglibs?  (Of course, if you can point me to a
discussion in the archives, I'll be happy to take a look at it.)

With commit-then-review, it's not too late to roll back (IMO), but I'd
prefer to avoid doing that in this case.  It's been broken for a while,
and IMO it can live -- broken -- until this is fixed: there is a work
around, and most people who are developing tomcat don't need 1.1 support.

thanks --

Ed