tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cos...@costin.dnt.ro>
Subject Re: VOTE: JDK1.2 compiler
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:14:22 GMT
I think the problem is resolved for now.

By keeping the core 1.1 compatible we don't lose anything, and I think we
should continue to do that until we have good reasons to
change. Policy-based security was a big change, but it seems we found a
way to add it while keeping even 1.1 compilers happy. I don't think we'll
have another big 1.2 change very soon, so 1.1 is probably safe.

All tomcat functionality is implemented in modules ( interceptors ), and
conditional compilation allows us to provide a subset that is 1.1
compatible and still do 1.2 -specific code.

The only problem was in the class loaders, but I think the current
solution is ok.

I saw all the votes, and it seems the reality is that most people develop
on JDK1.2. All we have to do is check periodically if the code works and
compile with 1.1. As long as this is not too expensive we can continue to
support it.

Costin