tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jim_Es...@universalpensions.com
Subject Re: A simple time consuming problem easily solved
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:55:15 GMT

Looking at the differences in the two files when downloaded in IE and in
NS, NS adds the CR/LF pairs that it would add to a unix text file when
downloading in ASCII mode (like in FTP).  Could it be something on the
webserver end that is telling NS that it is a text file instead of a binary
file, so it is downloading wrong because of that?

-------------------
Can we do something along these lines? Maybe a .gz since it's a Linux file?
If nothing else, the compression would be nice for end users on low
bandwidth lines :)

.duncan

----------
From: Karl Wyant <kwyant@saturnsys.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:05:08 -0500
To: webmaster@jakarta.apache.org, apache@apache.org
Subject: A simple time consuming problem easily solved

The following link:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1/bin/linux/i386/
has a single file     mod_jserv.so

Unless you've already seen this, you will not believe me at first, but
if that file is downloaded with Netscape (4.7 for Windoze anyway) it
gets trashed.  If downloaded with IE it is fine.  The fix I suggest, zip
the sucker.  Also, a readme in the same directory with a warning might
be nice.

I lost 6 hours on this today only to later find out it was a known issue
within the archive lists, yet no mention or warning on the website.  I
realize that this is really a NetScape issue since it was their
apparently lousy product that caused the problem, but since it is so
widely used, precautions could have beein implemented here.

Thanks,
Karl Wyant