tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Sebastian.BAZ...@sema.co.uk>
Subject Tomcat 3.1 on WinNT/98 needs contect_log
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:22:02 GMT
I've downloaded Tomcat 3.1 and installed it on both WinNT SP4 and Win98 SE.

It works very well, but requires a minor change to server.xml: there needs
to be an entry for context_log, such as:

    <Logger name="context_log"
            path="logs/context.log"
            customOutput="yes" />

Without this, the run command fails with:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org/apache/tomcat/service/http/HttpConnectionHandler
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.setProperty(SimpleTcpConnector.
java:180)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.MethodSetter.end(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchEnd(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.endElement(XmlMapper.java:96)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parseInternal(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:283)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:198)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:143)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)
Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
Starting tomcat install="c:\jakarta-tomcat" home="C:\jakarta-tomcat"
classPath="
c:\jakarta-tomcat\classes;c:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\webserver.jar;c:\jakarta-tom
cat\lib\jasper.jar;c:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar;c:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\servl
et.jar;c:\jdk1.2.1\lib\tools.jar"
Context log: path="/admin" Automatic context load
docBase="C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\admin"
Context log: path="/admin" Adding context path="/admin"
docBase="C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\admin"
Context log: path="/examples" Automatic context load
docBase="C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\examples"
Context log: path="/examples" Adding context path="/examples"
docBase="C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapp\examples"
Context log: path="" Automatic context load
docBase="C:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT"
FATAL:java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector.java:1
33)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:157)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)
C:\jakarta-tomcat\bin>

[The above is on WinNT. I think the output is similar on Win98, but I don't
have the log.]

C:\jakarta-tomcat\bin>java -version
java version "1.2.1"
Classic VM (build JDK-1.2.1-A, native threads)

I'm afraid I don't know why this is; I just made a guess and added the
context_log entry in the hope of getting extra logging output to try and pin
down the error - it certainly worked!

I have also used the same version of Tomcat on AXP/VMS 7.2-1; it does not
seem to need the context_log entry. I don't know why this should be either!

But at least the fix is simple (assuming that adding the extra context_log
tag does not have any adverse side effects on other systems).

--
Sebastian Bazley <Sebastian.Bazley@sema.co.uk>
The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not necessarily endorsed

Sema Group.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the Sema Group
Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.