tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Sebastian.BAZ...@sema.co.uk>
Subject Successful test of TomCat 3.1 on Alpha/VMS 7.2
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:57:22 GMT
This is just to report that we have recently downloaded TomCat 3.1, and it
seems to work OK as a stand-alone server on Alpha/VMS 7.2-1.

This is using Java version 1.1.8-5, from the Compaq Website.

We had to make only two minor changes:

1) Create a startup command file (!)
2) Patch the JspCompiler source file to shorten the generated file name
length.

VMS normally supports a maximum file name length of 39 characters before the
extension; this is easily exceeded when names such as "jsp/dates/date.jsp"
are encoded; so as a temporary measure the prefix was completely removed.
Obviously this is not an ideal solution, but it was enough to show that the
rest of the system works. [We are not yet sure how to solve this problem,
because VMS also has a limit of 8 levels of directory nesting. I believe
this is removed in the latest filing systems; the name length restriction
may also be removed.]

We haven't yet tested TomCat with Apache, FastTrack, or the OSU webservers.

Hope this information is of use.

--
Sebastian Bazley <Sebastian.Bazley@sema.co.uk>
The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not necessarily endorsed

Sema Group.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the Sema Group
Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.