tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: relative path doesn't accept ../ for the context path
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:37:13 GMT
Some code in the serveFile() method of org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet doesn't allow
".." in the path for security reasons.  Unfortunately, I think the ".." gets stored in your
docBase setting, causing serveFile() to "Error 404" everything.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Laroche [mailto:Thomas.Laroche@supaero.fr]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 1:04 PM
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: relative path doesn't accept ../ for the context path

Hello,

Trying to set up tomcat (conf/server.xml), I faced the following problem.
I defined a context path containing ../ and it wasn't recognized (Error
404).

        <Context path="" docBase="../myAppl" debug="0" reloadable="true">
        </Context>

No problem, it works with absolute path or relative path without .. !

I hope you can fix this (I suppose it's a bug :)
By the way, I'm working with Linux.

Good luck and continue the good work !

Thomas Laroche