tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Hammon, Randy" <RHam...@Evolve.com>
Subject RE: jsp:include: the bug and the fix
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:45:24 GMT
>I do have few questions:
>
>In your test, you have  2 files: Outer.jsp and Inner.jsp.
>
>In Outer.jsp you include "/test/Inner.jsp".
>
>Now, if you use the root context ( i.e. you don't have a "/test"
>context ) - everything is fine.
>
>If you do have a /test context and the 2 files are part of the
>/test context, then include should not use the /test prefix for
>the include - all absolute paths are relative to the context.
>
>Costin

Costin,
thanks for your response! Vance and I here at Evolve were trying to
work out what the correct behavior should be and whether WE were
doing something wrong(hoping that was the case).

There seems to be a contradiction in your explanation, since according
to the code and our debug output, the context for /test/Outer.jsp
is "", but the context for /test/Inner.jsp is "/test". Why aren't they
in the same context? Tomcat finds /test/Outer.jsp when the servlet (which is
in the test package) attempts to run it

this.getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/test/Outer.jsp").

Also, this code works in Jrun2.3.3 and Jrun3.0.

So for the servlet and Outer.jsp the context appears to be "", but
it suddenly changes for Inner.jsp.
Seems like a misunderstanding in the ContextManager. Waddaya think?
Is there something in the spec that would clarify this?

thanks,
-randy