tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject FW: A simple time consuming problem easily solved
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 09:29:44 GMT
Can we do something along these lines? Maybe a .gz since it's a Linux file?
If nothing else, the compression would be nice for end users on low
bandwidth lines :)

.duncan

----------
From: Karl Wyant <kwyant@saturnsys.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:05:08 -0500
To: webmaster@jakarta.apache.org, apache@apache.org
Subject: A simple time consuming problem easily solved

The following link:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1/bin/linux/i386/
has a single file     mod_jserv.so

Unless you've already seen this, you will not believe me at first, but
if that file is downloaded with Netscape (4.7 for Windoze anyway) it
gets trashed.  If downloaded with IE it is fine.  The fix I suggest, zip
the sucker.  Also, a readme in the same directory with a warning might
be nice.

I lost 6 hours on this today only to later find out it was a known issue
within the archive lists, yet no mention or warning on the website.  I
realize that this is really a NetScape issue since it was their
apparently lousy product that caused the problem, but since it is so
widely used, precautions could have beein implemented here.

Thanks,
Karl Wyant