tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Ken X Horn" <>
Subject Re: WebApps / ClassLoaders / AdaptiveClassLoader
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:36:23 GMT

Rather than use the jdk getParent method, could always implement it in ACL, with
a local private instance var - that way we'd get the same effect. The parent is
only really used by this class anyway. Subclasses would be okay too I think.

Ken on 01/06/2000 11:04:35

Please respond to

cc:   (bcc: Ken X Horn)
Subject:  Re: WebApps / ClassLoaders / AdaptiveClassLoader

Costin Manolache wrote:

> > Is there a reason ACL doesn't support parent class loaders?
> >
> > Anybody want the patch?
> >
> > Also, the ACL throws an exception if one of the File's passed doesn't exist
> > was thinking of making it just remove it from the repository, in order to
> > emulate the system CLASSPATH behaviour more. Opinions?
> Please send the patch ! ( it is very useful - it was on my "urgent" list )

I agree .. please send it.

However, one thing to note is that parent class loaders are a Java2 addition to
API.  Currently, Tomcat runs under JDK 1.1 as well -- we're probably going to
to bite this bullet someday.

> Costin

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

View raw message