tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "James A. Rome" <...@y12.doe.gov>
Subject Re: Certificate information is not transferred by Tomcat
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:49:47 GMT
Wouldn't that be nice... But only the Sun Java server supports this to
my knowledge. Netscape ES 3.62 and IIS do not! I was using Tomcat 3.1.

Jim

JamesW@cardsetc.com wrote:

> According to section 5.7 of the Servlet 2.2 spec, 'SSL attributes'; the
> certificate should be visible as an attribute named
> 'javax.servlet.request.X509Certificate', that value of which should be an
> array of type 'javax.security.cert.X509Certificate'.
>
> ServletRequest.isSecure() should return the appropriate answer whether the
> request came in via HTTPS (SSL) or not.
>
> If you write your servlets to look for SSL information in any other
> attributes, or the header of the request, then it is not going to be
> portable between servlet containers (although, by the sounds of it , its
> not going to be portable with JRun if your servlet IS spec-compliant ;-)
>
> Now whether Tomcat and its interceptors currently support this behaviour, I
> am not sure, but I am certainly keen to know!  I'd love to know whether
> this functionality will be found in 3.2 (particularly for Apache).  I'm
> currently running 3.1final.
>
> Regards,
> James W.

> Visit us at Cards Australia 2000 on Stand 31A.  Cards Australia will be
> held at the Melbourne Convention Centre from July 4-6 2000.
> This e-mail is from Cards Etc Pty Ltd (ACN: 069 533 302). It may contain
> privileged and confidential information. It is intended for the named
> recipient(s) only. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify us
> immediately by reply e-mail or by phone on +61 2 9212 7773 & delete this
> e-mail from your system.

James A. Rome
Lockheed Martin Energy Systems
Center for Information Infrastructure Technology
1099 Commerce Park Drive
MS 7615
Oak Ridge, TN 37830-8027
Phone: (865) 574-1306