tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <>
Subject Re: question about Cookie standard(RFC2109)
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:50:06 GMT
Jean-Yves MENGANT wrote:
> Hi ,
> The RFC2109 defines cookies's syntax and semantics...But it seemed that
> there is an unclear topic (almost for me) around the expires date format
> field . The date format is clearly defined but question is should it be
> locale-sensitive ?
> The problem is important since client java programs may want to manage
> cookies, and remain compatible with most SERVLET implementors, they should
> be aware of locale-sensitivity on expires field format.
> Working on some different implementations of SERVLET shows that some did the
> locale date conversion(JRUN) and some do not, keeping the expire date in
> locale.US (APACHE/JSERV , I did not check with tomcat for the moment but I
> suppose it shares the same model).
> So the only question I got here is : Is there a clear rule on COOKIE expires
> locale-sensitivity that I missed ??

I'm pretty sure the date/time in the expires attribute must follow the
same rules as date/time values in other HTTP headers. RFC 2616 (HTTP/1.1)
clearly specify that all day and month names must be in english and
represent GMT time, see the "3.3.1 Full Date" section for details.

Hans Bergsten
Gefion Software

View raw message