tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: question about Cookie standard(RFC2109)
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:50:06 GMT
Jean-Yves MENGANT wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> The RFC2109 defines cookies's syntax and semantics...But it seemed that
> there is an unclear topic (almost for me) around the expires date format
> field . The date format is clearly defined but question is should it be
> locale-sensitive ?
>
> The problem is important since client java programs may want to manage
> cookies, and remain compatible with most SERVLET implementors, they should
> be aware of locale-sensitivity on expires field format.
>
> Working on some different implementations of SERVLET shows that some did the
> locale date conversion(JRUN) and some do not, keeping the expire date in
> locale.US (APACHE/JSERV , I did not check with tomcat for the moment but I
> suppose it shares the same model).
>
> So the only question I got here is : Is there a clear rule on COOKIE expires
> locale-sensitivity that I missed ??

I'm pretty sure the date/time in the expires attribute must follow the
same rules as date/time values in other HTTP headers. RFC 2616 (HTTP/1.1)
clearly specify that all day and month names must be in english and
represent GMT time, see the "3.3.1 Full Date" section for details.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com