tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: JSP servlet for browser without cookie support
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:26 GMT
I addition to Craig's comments (which I agree with):

Yuri Kazakov wrote:
> [...]
> Second, JSP was designed to make HTML programming environment clean and simple
> for the price of one JSP file compilation.
> Now the strategy "access Internet from anything" (mobil phones, car navigators,
> ..., even kitchen ware)
> makes non-cookie access more and more intensive every day.
> So I don't understand why old days requirement of automatic URL encoding
> was removed from JSP specifications.

Like you say, JSP can be used to generate responses for all kinds of devices,
and all devices don't understand HTML. So if the JSP container would be
responsible for URL rewriting, it would have to know how to parse and find
URLs in HTML, WML, any XML schema, etc. Using a custom action, like the one
in Struts, it a better solution IMHO.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com