tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Yuri Kazakov <ykaza...@panache.co.jp>
Subject Re: JSP servlet for browser without cookie support
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2000 03:04:36 GMT

Alex Chaffee wrote:

> First, this sort of question belongs on tomcat-user, not tomcat-dev.
>
> Second, the way it's supposed to work is you have to explicitly call
> encodeURL on the URL strings.  Like so:

        This is not nasty?!

> The alternative would be to scan the whole page looking for URLs which
> is nasty and unreliable and slow.

First, looking for URLs takes place only one time when JSP page is compiled
and only if session.isNew() or isRequestedSessionFromURL().
During compilation JSP servlet spends most of time for file read/write/stat
operations, and I don't think that some simple URL logic will make it more slow.

Second, JSP was designed to make HTML programming environment clean and simple
for the price of one JSP file compilation.
Now the strategy "access Internet from anything" (mobil phones, car navigators,
..., even kitchen ware)
makes non-cookie access more and more intensive every day.
So I don't understand why old days requirement of automatic URL encoding
was removed from JSP specifications.

What do developers think about this?

Tomcat user.