tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Hannan" <bhan...@airflash.com>
Subject JSSE and HTTPS
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:15:44 GMT
This is actually a question about JSSE and HTTPS that doesn't involve
requests directly through Tomcat.

Here's the deal.  I want to use JSSE from within a servlet.  It is
communicating with some other webservers over HTTPS when handling
requests.  When I test all my core code (everything but the thin servlet
layer) outside of Tomcat, it works fine.

I dynamically register the HTTPS handler classes and SSL provider as the
JSSE docs say:

System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");
Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());

The problem is when I do this from within a servlet, it does NOT work.
I've tried a number of things, including moving the provider to
java.security and adding setProperty into the tomcat start script via

-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol

This doesn't help matters.

Is this a known issue or am I just missing something really stupid?

BTW, Tomcat is on NT.

Thanks for any and all help.

--
Brian Hannan
Chief Admiral of Uncle Jam's Navy

"One nation under a groove, gettin' down just for the FUNK of it."