tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: bad assumption: JSP Recompilation based on class timestamp?
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:15:38 GMT
Chris Higgins wrote:

> The jasper compiler checks to see if a jsp needs to be recompiled based on
> if the *class* file on the filesystem is older than the JSP file.  This
> doesn't exactly work in VisualAge since VAJ produces a class file in the
> repository (not on the filesystem proper).
>
> I know I am biased in this particular situation, but should Jasper assume
> that the java compiler (which doesn't necessarily have to be Sun's) produces
> a .class file in the target directory?  That seems like something the
> compiler MAY do, but doesn't HAVE TO.  After we run the compiler, its out of
> Jasper's hands.  Shouldn't the date comparison be against the generated java
> file instead of the class file?
>
> I know that I need this fix for using Tomcat in VisualAge (otherwise every
> reload causes the compilation step), and I'm sure others would like to do
> the same thing.  I've already made the change on my code base but wondered
> if it should be rolled into Tomcat.

The problem with comparing to the generated .java file is that this file
is only kept if "keepGenerated" is specified. I agree that it would be
nice with some other method than comparing to the .class file in the file
system (since a file system is not a given), but I'm afraid I don't have
a solution to suggest at this time.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com