tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Gal Shachor <>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:54:27 GMT

manie wrote:
> Hi
> I am currently running two diffrent contexts in two diffrent VM's with
> Apache as my web server
> and Tomcat as the servlet container listening on  localhost:8007 and
> localhost:8009 respectivily.  What
> I gather at the moment is that Virtual Hosting will in some way enable me to
> assign domain names
> to that contexts so that I will be able to call something like
> and
> I don't understand how this can be done, that is if I have the right idea.
> Can anybody help me?

In short, virtual hosting (as implemented by Apache as well as many
other web servers
and tomcat-3.2dev) let you do the following:

1. Have several DNS aliases for your server (say and
2. Use the Host header sent by the web browser to guess the wanted
   server. For example Host: means that you want the
   to act as if it was running
3. Configure different virtual hosts differently so that they will have
   document roots and servlet configuration.

Some servers also support hardware based virtual servers where the
server machine has
multiple ip interfaces (that is network cards and real addresses) and
then you do not need
the browser to send a Host header (but most of them do that anyway).

Configuring Tomcat3.1 and Apache to support vhosts is described in the
users guide.

	Gal Shachor

View raw message