tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: tomcat license question
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 21:50:13 GMT
Robert Quillen wrote:

> Do servlets, jsps, and/or webapps developed using tomcat count as
> derived works?  Does the apache license apply to them at all?  The
> jakarta-servletapi classes have the apache license, so it seems
> like the answer is "yes".

IANAL, but I don't see how you would reach that conclusion.  The
"servletapi" classes themselves were explicitly contributed to Apache
(along with the original Tomcat code).  And, like Tomcat itself, they are
merely an (not necessarily "the") implementation of the spec requirements.
There are other implementations of the servlet API classes available as
well, which you can use instead -- just as you can use other servlet

This does not seem to have anything to do with web applications that you or
I might build.

> Is this a good thing to have in a reference implementation of a J2EE
> api?  I think that the webapps, servlets, etc. should not have any
> sort of license restrictions imposed upon them by tomcat.
> In any case, it's not clear from reading the license.  Perhaps a clause
> needs to be added that addresses this issue?
> -Robert Quillen

Craig McClanahan

View raw message