tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: additional logging features -- proposal
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:26:00 GMT
On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 09:58:21AM -0700, Diego Doval wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>

> > Ideally, the only output to stderr and stdout happens during startup,
> > before the context is initialized. Thus capturing these to a log file
> > is kind of beside the point; you need to watch tomcat.log. I'm about
> > to submit a patch that cleans up several System.err messages (sending
> > them to tomcat.log instead, like they should be); with any luck I can
> > track down and replace the rest of them soon.
> Ok.
> As for logging some stuff to stderr,
> It's probably a matter of personal taste, I agree with you but for some it
> makes more sense to print exceptions in one place and standard logging in
> another.

My reasoning was pragmatic: I was launching Tomcat via a remote ssh
shell, so the stderr and stdout output was lost.  I imagine this case
will be common enough that I'm acting on the assumption that all
messages, including exceptions, should go to the appropriate log file,
not to the console.  This also means that everything can be configured
using server.xml -- no need for command-line fidgeting.

Perhaps someone who doesn't agree with us can use the "level" variable
(Logger.INFORMATION / Logger.WARNING / Logger.ERROR) to send ERRORs to
one file and INFORMATIONs to another, or something like that.

 - Alex

P.S. Still haven't read through your Logger.java patch but I'm about
to!