tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: additional logging features -- proposal
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:28:45 GMT
On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 03:28:13PM -0700, Diego Doval wrote:
> 	The changes have to do with logging and are fairly simple:
>
> 	1) Added a tomcat startup option (to Tomcat.java) to recognize the
> parameters "-logfile" and "-datelogfile".
> 	-logfile "file.log" redirects stderr and stdout to file.log
> 	-datelogfile redirects stderr and stdout to file.log but it adds the
> current date and time to the file name (between the filename and the
> extension) to allow for different logfiles for different startup times.
>
> 	The rationale behind this change is that when running the JVM as a service
> (using ServiceInstaller for example) the shell is not parsing the command
> line so parameters such as
> "2>err.txt" don't work, they are just received by tomcat, who ignores them.

Ideally, the only output to stderr and stdout happens during startup,
before the context is initialized. Thus capturing these to a log file
is kind of beside the point; you need to watch tomcat.log. I'm about
to submit a patch that cleans up several System.err messages (sending
them to tomcat.log instead, like they should be); with any luck I can
track down and replace the rest of them soon.

I agree that it's silly that tomcat erases this log file on
startup. It would be much better if it was smart about the date. I'm
looking forward to reading your code and seeing if it applies to all
log files, not just your new stderr/stdout one.