tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Logger
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:19:07 GMT

I'm cleaning up log behavior (patch coming soon) and I have two
questions about the Logger/TomcatLogger as it stands.

1. What is indended by the "custom" property?

Right now, "custom" means "don't wrap the log message in
<logname>...</logname> tags, and never show a timestamp even if the
user asked for one".  In my patch, I've removed the latter (i add a
timestamp if the user so desires, as evidenced by adding
"timestamp=yes" in server.xml) but I'm baffled by the former.

2. What should the default verbosityLevel be?

I ask because there was nasty hardcoded code that forced the level at
"INFORMATION", again ignoring server.xml.  I've removed this
constraint.  But I think the default setting maybe should be
INFORMATION instead of WARNING as it currently stands (set in the
class).  Either that or the default server.xml should specify
"verbosityLevel="INFORMATION"" for all logs.

Is anyone in charge of logging code at this point?