tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <>
Subject Re: Bug in InvokerServlet: NullPointerException, tomcat totally dies
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 17:08:15 GMT
Curiouser and curiouser...

Seems the null pointer in my servlet's doGet method is trying to
dereference an instance variable... that is set in the init method!

Might Tomcat be getting confused by multiple simultaneous requests,
accidentally instantiating a new instance, and calling doGet on this
new instance without calling init?

More detective work is required...

 - Alex

Alex Chaffee
jGuru - Java News and FAQs
Founder of Purple Technology
Creator of Gamelan
Curator of Stinky Art Collective

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 04:19:28AM -0700, Alex Chaffee wrote:
> (sending to both lists since I'm not sure where to report bugs these
> days)
> I'm running Tomcat standalone, testing a simple servlet on a (live)
> medium-load site.  It's tied to an applet that polls once every N
> seconds; as a result, I'm getting upwards of 8 requests per second,
> but it seems to be about 2-3 hits per second on average.
> It runs fine for hours, then dies silently in the middle of the
> night. The VM is still running, but doesn't accept any connections.
> As far as I can tell, the problem is a NullPointerException in
> InvokerServlet.  I'll try to track it down more carefully by turning
> off the JIT.

View raw message