tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "James Cook" <jimc...@iname.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Session Server
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:05:03 GMT
I have written a session server implementation as you describe. There are
significant advantages to such an implementation (as well as disadvantages).

I thought I should clarify one misconception that you had.

From: Matthew Dornquast <matthew@cata.com>
> Obviously there is a cost when moving session storage "out of process"
from
> the tomcat vm perspective.  But I think if done correctly, it will come
> close to mirroring the performance impact of sticky sessions, thus it'd be
> wash.

I don't agree with your assumption. One area that was very difficult to
improve upon was performance. Even with dedicated, always open sockets,
serialization of state information across processes requires new overhead.
This overhead is much greater than the time spent performing sticky session
logic.

In all fairness, if distributed sessions could be done as quickly as sticky
sessions, everyone would be doing it. Sticky sessions do not provide
fail-over and distributed sessions do.

jim