tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <>
Subject [Catalina] Re: Chunked HTTP Responses and CRLF
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:09:46 GMT
> Dear All,
> I have noticed a "problem" with Tomcat JSP generation on Unix systems. We
> are currently attempting to generate dynamic WML via JSP which we then
> to a WAP Gateway for compilation into bytecode. While testing our JSP
> via the Nokia SDK we noticed no problems. When we started testing via
> Nokia's NAMP Gateway we noticed that the code was not compiling. Further
> investigation revealed the following: the JSP pages converts some
> into CRLF (or \r\n) carriage returns. The Gateway does not like this and I
> am not convinced that this isn't standard HTTP 1.1: can you insert CRLF
> returns into chunked text data?

In RFC 2616, page 25, the chunk-data is defined as
So you should be able to put whatever you want in a chunk. The client should
use the chunk-size, instead of the CRLF to determine the end of the chunk.

I just tested generating a dynamic response with \r\n in it, and indeed it
works (clients used were IE 5.01 and Mozilla). I didn't test chunking with
any other clients, though, so I could have missed something.
Are your sure the compilation errors come from this ? Perhaps the gateway
does not support chunking very well (in which case a workaround is needed,
like for example adding a config file parameter in Catalina disabling
persistent connections).

BTW, Catalina HTTP/1.1 connector doesn't support chunking on input for now
(which does not seem to be widely used anyway).

View raw message