tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Introduction and Possible Tasks
Date Tue, 30 May 2000 00:25:09 GMT
Warner Onstine wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am new to Tomcat although I have been using Jserv for about a year.  I
> recently was hired by Exoffice to work on Tomcat (specifically Catalina) and
> just wanted to give you guys a quick introduction and find out if there was
> anything in particular that needed immediate attention, or if someone needed
> some help on a particular piece.  I have worked on a few Open-source
> projects but never in quite this capacity, so not sure if this is the right
> way to address things here.

Hello Warner, and welcome!

> Remy, a co-worker and fellow Tomcat developer, mentioned a couple of pieces
> that were missing or incomplete in Catalina:
> Sessions *
> Security (form-based authentication) *
> Security (SSL/TLS based authentication)
> Secuirty (HTTP DIGEST authentication)
> Log file implementations
> Server Management support *
> Server Side Includes
> CGI emulation
>
> I know there are more, but these are the ones I am most interested in and
> the ones with asterisks I could probably start on right away with my current
> knowledge base.  If there are ones not listed here that you (collective you
> ;-) feel needs to be addressed first please let me know, or if someone has
> already volunteered for some of these pieces I would love to hear about what
> you are working on.

The current list of major projects outstanding on Catalina is in the
jakarta-tomcat repository, in a file named "proposals/catalina/STATUS.html".
Some of the items have names beside them already -- there is no problem with
more than one person working in a particular area, as long as collaboration can
occur (over the TOMCAT-DEV mailing list).  I will be happy to add your name to
any of the items listed (or add any new items that we think ought to be there).
Let me know which specific ones you are interested in.

> -warner

Craig McClanahan