tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jun Inamori <j-off...@osa.att.ne.jp>
Subject Re: build "mod_jserv.so" error
Date Mon, 29 May 2000 13:22:14 GMT
Hi,

> I try to build jserv module using
> "apxs -c *.c -o mod_jserv.so"
>
> everything is always at the beginning but at last it has a error message
> "apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=16711680"

Your APXS seems invalid. I've ever seen the similar case.
I'm not sure this is also true for your case, but the solution for that
case may shade you.

The message in that case was:
---cut---
gcc -DSOLARIS2=260 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
-I/usr/local/apache/include  -c jserv_wrapper_win.c
  -o mod_jserv.so jserv_wrapper_win.o jserv_wrapper_unix.o
jserv_wrapper.o jserv_watchdog.o jserv_utils.o jserv_status.o
jserv_protocols.o jserv_mmap.o jserv_image.o jserv_balance.o
jserv_ajpv12.o jserv_ajpv11.o mod_jserv.o
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=16711680
---cut---

This means each *.o files are successfully generated, but failed to link
them. This is because the link command is missing.
The command should be like:
        ld -G mod_jserv.so jserv_wrapper_win.o....
but it was:
	-o mod_jserv.so jserv_wrapper_win.o.....

As with other httpd related files, 'apxs' (which is usually
/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs, and just one of the Perl script) is also
generated based on the information stored in
        (source_directory)/src/Makefile.config
As for Solaris, this file must include the following lines to generate
the appropriate 'apxs':
        CFLAGS_SHLIB= -DSHARED_MODULE
        LD_SHLIB=ld
        LDFLAGS_SHLIB=-G
        LDFLAGS_SHLIB_EXPORT=
        LDFLAGS_MOD_SHLIB=-G
In addition to these, it is desirable that the '-fPIC' option is
included in CFLAGS1 in case of Solaris OS.

I don't know on what OS you are building Apache, but I suppose your
Makefile.config has not enough information.

--

Happy Java programming!

Jun Inamori
E-mail: j-office@osa.att.ne.jp