tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [Catalina] Manager for FileStore
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 16:31:11 GMT
Chris Parrinello wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Chris .. I'll be happy to sign you up for whichever Store implementations you
> > want to work on.  You're correct -- the FileStore one needs to be fleshed out
> > (although I'm not sure that file-per-session is going to scale real well).  I'd
> > also like to see Store implementations that use a database via JDBC, plus other
> > approaches that might sound reasonable.
>
> I was just looking at the code and realized that there needs to be a Manager
> implementation that uses the Store interface in order for the FileStore to work
> (unless I'm missing something...). Please sign me up for that action item as
> well unless somebody else is working on an implementation.

You've got it right ... I just added your name to the "proposals/catalina/STATUS.html"
entry for this piece.

Here are some random thoughts I have had about what could/should be supported:

* Configurable policy on when active but idle sessions should
  be swapped out to the Store.  Perhaps based on some
  combination of maximum active sessions in memory, minimum
  time before swapout is allowed, etc.

* Configurable policy to persist active sessions occassionally
  even if you're not swapping them out (low grade failure recovery
  support).

* On shutdown, persist everything.  On subsequent startup,
  the sessions that were active should remain active.

To do some of this, you'll need a background thread to be running.  You can look at
the one in StandardManager for a starting point if you like.

> Thanks,
> Chris

Craig