tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mosiewicz <m...@interdata.com.pl>
Subject Re: encoding bug
Date Sun, 07 May 2000 00:12:54 GMT
Hirofumi Arimoto wrote:

>   Hi, all.
>   I found a bug relating to an encoding. I'm now using tomcat v3.1 , which
> can't send cookies including japanese characters.
>   Its root cause is the method
> org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpResponseAdapter#endHeaders.  In this
> method, the content of headers is forcely encoded as "8859_1".

Well, note that HTTP/1.1 spec defines most headers using tokens which is
one or more ascii codes. In fact cookie can only partially contain
anything but ascii (i.e. in the value). Having everything as 8859-1 is a
safe way to enforce this. Have you considered if it won't result in bad
header encodings? I'm really not sure of that - especially if somebody
choose for example some multibyte encoding for the document.

-- Mike