tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From j..@clearink.com
Subject Re: [Fwd: Public Review Draft: Java Community Process(SM), Version 2.0]
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 22:43:11 GMT
Hello All,

While Sun is doing an excellent job at forming the group, defining the
structure and has made significant advances (they removed the $100 fee for
individuals to work for them to free), they are missing one last big part
of the picture:

When you join an Open Source Project, there is no one that makes you sign
some legal document. The same should be true of the JCP. There is no need
for me to sign an NDA in order for me to tell Danny that he is screwing up
the Servlet API with his recent proposals. :-)

A bit of history:

About 1.5 years ago, James Davidson formed an external "Servlet Experts
Group" that was a private email list (that I hosted) that had all of the
premier Servlet Experts in all of the various companies and OS projects.
Apache had 4 representatives (Craig, Stefano, Pier, Myself) on this list!
We were able to convince Sun and others to do away with things like
getServlet() which were bad ideas to begin with. This was an excellent
group and was extremely productive with almost zero political motivations.
It was engineers who wanted to help make the Servlet API the best it could
be. I think we did a good job and as a result, you now have JSDK 2.1 and
2.2.

I HIGHLY recommend that no one from the Open Source community participate
in the JCP until Sun allows experts to join their little party without
having to sign some stupid NDA in order to participate.

-1 on the JCP!

thanks,

-jon stevens

p.s. All the usual disclaimers apply.