tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Milo Hyson" <m...@cyberlifeservices.com>
Subject Serious redirect bug
Date Tue, 30 May 2000 02:23:41 GMT
I just installed the Tomcat 3.1 sources. Everything works fine except for
this one major issue. Redirects (i.e. HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect())
don't work properly. It appears that after calling this method, the servlet
doesn't terminate. It keeps on processing subsequent lines of code resulting
in corrupted responses being sent to clients. However if you put a return
after the method call, everything works fine.

I've tried multiple installations on two different machines with the same
result overtime.

The Java Servlet Specification 2.2 Section 6.3 states the following:

"These methods will have the side effect of committing the response, if it
had not already been
committed, and terminating it. No further output to the client should be
made by the servlet after
these methods are called. If data is written to the response after these
methods are called, the data is
ignored."

If this is not already being handled I hope it gets fixed soon.

- Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs