tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Sy <...@AstonBrooke.com>
Subject JSP: turning off incremental file generation
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:58:10 GMT
Given a MyJSP.jsp file, Tomcat compiles it into a
a xxxMyJSP_jsp_n.java where n runs from 0 to 9.
Everytime MyJSP.jsp file is changed, Tomcat
increments/cycles through n.

My question is: Can I turn this feature off?
That is, I would like Tomcat to generate a xxxMyJSP_jsp.java
file without incrementing the suffix n.

I've tried a couple of things to no avail, such as

- deleting xxxMyJSP_jsp_0.java to xxxMyJSP_jsp_9.java
to try to force Tomcat to always only generate
xxxMyJSP_jsp_0.java

- in web.xml setting the "keepgenerated" JspServlet
init-param to "false".

The reason I would like to turn off this incremental
suffix feature is this: I am trying to debug my JSP
pages by hooking up the java classes (and the corresponding
xxxMyJSP_jsp_n.java source files) to my debugger
(Visual Cafe). But because up to 10 java classes
are generated per jsp file, I have had to hook-up
10 java classes into my Visual Cafe projects for
each JSP file (and set breakpoints in each of the
10 java source files).  A big hassle if you have
more than 3 JSP files.
Does anyone know any (Tomcat or VCafe) work around?

ps. I just joined the User List today, and I hope I'm
posting my question to the right place. Else, my apologies.

thnx.