tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: possible Tomcat 3.1 issues
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:14:34 GMT

> The idea is that there should be a logger per significant subsystem and
> each subsystem can generate a message that can be XML wrapped OR can
> inidicate to the logger that it will format its own messages and the
> logger shouldn't wrap them in <XML>...</XML>.

I had an extensive off-line conversation with Costin about this.  My
position is that it is rather presumptuous for an embeddable component to
predetermine the formatting of log entries.  The core code should determine
what data needs to be logged (either with name/value pairs or
positionally), and leave it up to the logging subsystem to determine how to
format it.  Simply put, some hosts may already have their own conventions
defined.

> <tongue>
>   <in>
>    <cheek>

Cool!  I really like the fact that the inter-working relationships and tone
of notes has improved much since days which lead up to the previous (3.0)
release.  When people can poke fun at each other in e-mail and it is taken
in the spirit intended, as a team we must be doing something right.

> The reasoning behind XML-logs is that XML is cool :-) I believe
> perl/sed/awk based log processing is more than enough but these days we
> want to have all kinds of transformations declaratively specified that
> postprocess these XML logs to all kinds of cool things -- for example an
> MS Word document which will then be at its peak of human readability :-)

+1 to implementing a logger which formats the data as XML.  -0.6 to putting
the XML directly into the core.

- Sam Ruby