tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@costin.dnt.ro>
Subject Re: authorization providers (was More on JAAS)
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:30:40 GMT

> > * The mechanics of doing something like the
> >   BASIC authentication protocol are generic,
> >   no matter how you validate users.  It is appropriate
> >   to implement this as a request interceptor (SecurityCheck
> >   in Tomcat 3.x, SecurityValve in Catalina).

Or in a BasicAuthenticate class? And FormAuthenticate to
deal with form based authentication ?

And the interceptor just uses the components implementing certain
forms of authentication and the security APIs.

Again: interceptors are not supposed to _implement_ a certain
authentication protocol, but to act as a _bridge_ between various
APIs. SecurityCheck is just one example on how authentication
can be done, and does have everything in it's body just to allow
easy development and allow people to understand the code.
Even in SecurityCheck - most of the code for Form authentication
is moved in a normal servlet, and probably any other form of authentication
can and should be moved.

After all, it is perfectly valid to not declare any authentication method
in web.xml and have the servlet implement it in "user space". That have
quite a few valid use-cases - for example an ISP may host a web
application but will not want to handle users-management.
There is no restriction in the spec that "the only way to use BASIC
authentication is via web.xml ". Having normal "components" for
authentication and only putting them togheter in the interceptor is a
much better design ( IMHO )

Costin