tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: authorization providers (was More on JAAS)
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:40:15 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Mark,
>
> > I'm all for discussion. After all this is rather groundbreaking stuff.
> > While 'tis true that all of the popular Web servers use a filter model
> > similar to our interceptor model, they also all use C to write their
> > servers. (IIS may use C++, but if it follows MS tradition that is just
> > C++ wrappers around straight C code like the Windows API).
>
> You can modules in Perl too. And soon - I hope - you'll be able to
> write modules in Java !

+1 for that.

Once upon a time, the Apache JServ project started a "MOD_JAVA" subproject
(Costin was one of the instigators).  It kind of died for lack of interest and
time.  This would be a good thing to resurrect.  There are some notes at the web
site <http://java.apache.org> and the mail archives.

One of the places that this initial effort could be improved, IMHO, is to design
the Java API for modules to be as close as feasible to the Apache module design
-- very similar, in fact, to the current RequestInterceptor design in Tomcat 3.x
-- but without trying to turn it into "servlet" requests.  That's just overhead
from the perspective of a module API.

I would also have no problems with such a MOD_JAVA subproject (jakarta-modjava?)
started under Jakarta.

Craig