tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: more stuff on JAAS
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:14:01 GMT
> Yes this is a possibility. But JNDI doesn't implement a true LDAP
> compare (at least not one that I can tell). If mozilla SDK is ok, that
> would be a better way to go.

I would vote +1 on that, but see Craig's comment elsewhere.

> The word I got on the JNDI list was "JAAS requires 1.3 because
> JAAS uses hooks in JDK 1.3". So I guess a bug wrapped inside
> marketing. Of course JAAS could be implemented outside of Sun
> like IBM is doing.

There is one line of dependency between Subject and Java 1.3. That
dependency could have been done otherwise to enable 1.2
interoperability, or use reflection to optionally take advantage of Java
1.3. The rest, as you pointed out, is pure marketing.

Since Apache is not a licensee of Sun (outside of the Servlet API), it
cannot distribute a 1.2-compatible JAAS API.

> > * The LDAP login module requires an LDAP service provider. The one from
> > Sun is closed source and subject to license restrictions. The one from
> > Mozilla creates a dependency that the Apache people do not like.
> I personally don't like JNDI, except if I need to store Java objects
> into a directory (something I've never needed to do in 'real' life, but
> in my R&D projects has been pretty cool).

Share the feeling :-)

> Are you talking about Mozilla's JNDI driver or the raw SDK. I'd
> prefer the raw SDK if possible.

The raw SDK. I actually use their JNDI SP when I have to support LDAP
for JNDI, but when I work directly with LDAP, I would rather use one
well tested layer (the Mozilla SDK), then three layers (JNDI -> Mozilla
SP -> Mozilla SDK).

arkin