tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: persistance of generated servlet.
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 23:42:21 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:

> > > It's better to change JSP compiler to detect all dependencies -
> > > this way you'll not have to restart the server in the first place.
> >
> > earlier i thought about doing this. the solution i thougt about is add more
> > dependency info in the generated servlet. example: an isOutDated method in the
> > generated servlet. This makes the servlet non-portable and affects things like
> > using the extends directive.
> >
> > other solutions like maintain persistent data somewhere about dependencies
> > seemed like more work :-)
>
> A long-term solution is to separate the dependency code out of JSPServlet and
> make it a stand-alone component.
>
> The dep info doesn't have to be in the servlet - and doesn't have to be in
> JSPServlet either.
>
> It can be a simple interceptor ( that can be removed in production env ).

Let me see if I can reproduce what you are trying to say:

  1. Add an interceptor for requests for *.jsp
  2. This interceptor will call the JSP compiler, and re/load the generated servlet,
     if necessary, based on some dependencies.
  3. The JSP compiler or anyone else can talk to the concerned interceptor and set
     the dependency list.

I like the general direction. The thing that worries me is that people can't take
the JSP engine out of Tomcat and automatically have JSP support in their own servlet
engines. [we might be able to work this out with nice factoring of code] Let's talk
offline and generate a proposal for this list to see and approve.

> I see no major problem - and I volunteer to implement it if
> nobody else wants it.

I would be happy to work with you on this issue. Can you add this to the RELEASE
PLAN file for 3.2 or whatever the next release is?

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)