tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: possible Tomcat 3.1 issues
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 21:17:20 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Regarding XML output - I can remove the <xml>-like formating
> for all "normal" message today. For debug messages - most
> people will never see them, so I would let them in - with hope that
> in next release we'll be able to implement a better solution.

Costin, XML is fine but the fact that we use all kinds of cases in the
XML tags gives a very laboratory feel to Tomcat (although it has nothing
to do with functionality). If that can be made consistent (just the names
and cases of all the loggers) that would be great.

> It seems the problem is not if we want xml or not ( most people
> agree there are advantages in using an easy-to-parse format),
> but in how it is implemented, and the fact that we don't
> generate plain text too.

IMHO it would be nice to not have any subsystem format its own output;
leave it to the logger instead. But these kinds of things can wait.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)