tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: The plans are to cut a final release of 3.1 this week...
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 16:25:52 GMT

Vlad Shiligin wrote:

> O,yes it is nice - no doubts.
> Just a few drawbacks I can think of:
>
> 1) Scalability broblem with virtual hosting

Have the specific issues been identified and reported?

> 2) Lack of user-friendly documentation and tutorials

See the "User's Guide" and "Application Developer's Guide" in the "doc"
subdirectory of the current source code.  You'll find that many things are
vastly better documented than before.

> 3) Servlet chaining or its alternative which has been promised(I know  that
> Craig is working on it )

If you mean servlet chaining in the way that JWS did it, you didn't hear any
promises from me -- that's not a good design IMHO.

If you're speaking of the Catalina architecture's approach to Valves, that
whole design is not going to happen in 3.1 -- however, there is support for
request interceptors (inside of Tomcat core) that let's you do interesting
things -- albeit limited to Tomcat, because it's not in the API spec.

On the latter topic, servlet filters are a topic of discussion in the JSR-053
effort, looking at adding support for such things to the next version of the
servlet API spec.  I can't tell you how that is going to come out, but Tomcat
will support any such result in a later version.

> 4) Servlet reloading needs to be improved

In what way?

Please submit a bug report to Bugzilla <http://jakarta.apache.org/bugs> for
this and any other problems you want to report.  Specific test cases help
resolve things much more quickly.  Proposed patches make you a hero in the eyes
of Committers :-), and gets your name permanently enshrined in the records of
who has contributed to Tomcat.

Craig McClanahan