tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Multi-homing/Virtual named hosts
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2000 16:15:21 GMT
With apache things are much easier - apache has great support for virtual hosts
and the information is passed to tomcat. ( the name of the vhost, as in
apache.conf).

In fact apache can also pass the context ( the name of the Location or Directory ),
and probably the script name and everything else ( except the Servlet API choosed to
not match in semantics with any web server - so we need to parse again for
path_translated and probably few other request elements ).

> This could be something added to the Servlet/JSP spec. In addition to the
> Page, Request, Session, and Application scopes, there could be a Host scope.
> The problem of virtual host name space conflicts extends to things like
> jsp:useBean id's.  Or the application scope should only be valid on a per
> virtual host basis.

I think the right thing to do is to add the notion of parent application, and host
will be just a particular type.

Costin