tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
Subject Re: Multi-homing/Virtual named hosts
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2000 14:27:20 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> There are 3 steps for implementing virtual hosts:
> - change the configuration ( server.xml ) and find an intuitive way to specify
> the
> virtual hosts ( maybe similar with other servers).
>
> - add a property to Context ( host for example ) and make sure we set it at
> startup.

We use virtual hosts with apache extensively.  We find the apache config SetEnv
very handy for setting per virtual host environment variables that are then
visible to CGI scripts.  Of course, these apache environment variables don't
get passed on to a servlet container.  It would be very nice if per virtual
host properties could be set in a properties file which were then available
from the virtual host context.

This could be something added to the Servlet/JSP spec. In addition to the
Page, Request, Session, and Application scopes, there could be a Host scope.
The problem of virtual host name space conflicts extends to things like
jsp:useBean id's.  Or the application scope should only be valid on a per
virtual host basis.

Regards,

Glenn