tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard Vowles" <rvow...@sew.co.nz>
Subject Re: Multi-homing/Virtual named hosts
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2000 13:34:44 GMT
Ok, I spent a bit of time examining SimpleMapper and ContextManager and the
current mechanism for doing the lookup and it looks like it will take some
serious changes to support virtual hosts without doing some silly butchering
(as Costin indicates).

I _could_ prepend a virtual hostname onto the string key that is used for
ContextManager.getContext(path) but that appears to be a remarkably ugly
mechanism. Here are my thoughts:

1) It would appear that VirtualHosts would need to be defined inside the
ContextManager section of the server.xml file, this is what was in mind?
2) It appears that ContextManager would need to be changed to handle
anything other than a simple path - was this expected?
3) The ServerName property can appear un fully qualified, which means that
either (a) the server would need to fully qualify a domain name requested
(which shouldn't be too nasty as the name service mechanism on the local
machine should have cached it) or (b) require partial matching. Which should
be supported? I think partial matching will slow it down.
4) The Ajp12 (and others?) handler would then need to be fixed to get the
right context, as the context is being derived solely from the path, and
moved later on when the server name is found.

Another comment, the setContextManager appears to cycle around and add the
contextManager's contexts to "itself"? I can't see the point in this given
the implementation of addContext() (in BaseInterceptor) does absolutely
nothing (as far as I can tell).

---
Richard Vowles, Infrastructure Architect, Inprise New Zealand
home-email: "mailto:rvowles@sew.co.nz, work-email: "rvowles@inprise.com"