tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy Riedel" <a...@hearme.com>
Subject [Catalina] Class interactions
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 06:38:51 GMT
I understand the overall container layout but I'm not clear on how the various classes interact
with one another. Short of pouring through the code to figure it out, can anyone illuminate
the flow through the classes that comprise the server when a message is received by a Connector?

A full flow would be incredibly helpful. At a minimum, how does the received message get routed
to the proper Engine? How does the Engine route it to the proper Host?

In order to properly support protocol independence, it's unclear how messages get routed properly
when their are no header items that can be parsed out of the message.

For example, imagine you want to support the SIP protocol (as I do). Every incoming SIP packet
needs to be examined to determine what session it is a part of. There is no directory path
association as there is for HTTP requests. There is also no docbase equivalent. A message
comes in, a servlet is allocated from the pool, the servlet examines the session ID and accesses
the necessary info stored in the Context.

How is this functionality to be supported in Catalina?

Thanks,

Andy