tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Rudnicki <j...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:org/apache/tomcat/shell/Startup
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:18:21 GMT

From: "Joel Grocock" <jgrocock@totalise.co.uk>
>       I downloaded the latest version of Tomcat today and have followed
all
> installation instructions as closely as possible. I am however getting

> org/apache/tomcat/shell/Startup
>
> I am running on NT 4 and have checked all the relevant paths i.e
TOMCAT_HOME
> and JAVA_HOME recommended in the mailing archive.

If you look through the tomcat.bat file, after the :runServer you will see

echo Using classpath: %CLASSPATH%
start java %TOMCAT_OPTS% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%" ...snipped

That start never worked for me (on Win98 although).  The start spawns a new
dosbox that _does not_ get a copy of the current environment variables.  I
remove the "start" and it all works fine.  Like this tomcat runs in the
current shell that has all the SET statements the scripts just defined.

Try it, you may like it.
Jim