tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan_Pie...@seagram.com (Jonathan Pierce)
Subject Re[2]: WAR File problem - Don't cut final version until fixe
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 18:17:14 GMT
Why can't we check the date on the war file when tomcat starts up, and delete
any corresponding expanded directories if the war file is newer than it was when
the directory was last expanded. This would not be expensive, since it only
needs to happen once when Tomcat is restarted.

The deploy tool that I use is Microsoft Frontpage, which is not designed to
delete files automatically in the destination that are missing in the source. It
would be better if Tomcat could clean up after itself.

Jonathan

Subject:    Re: WAR File problem - Don't cut final version until fixed.
Author: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Date:       4/4/00 9:30 AM

It's a feature, not a bug :-)

Or at least that's how it was intended to run.

In a perfect world, we would have a deploy tool with 2 buttons:
- deploy
- remove/undeploy

In tomcat, deploy means:
- put the war file in webapps directory

Undeploy means:
- remove the war file _and_ the expanded files

The expanded directory is the internal tomcat representation - if the directory
is
there that means the application is deployed "into" tomcat.

To update you need to "un-deploy" - i.e. remove the directory. Checking for
changes
is too expensive and not usefull - it's the deploy tool job that has to deal
with
that ( in our case - you are the deploy tool, with help from "rm -rf " and "cp")

Costin