tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: Naming and Layout
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:37:16 GMT
> I am curious. Does there exist some documentation that
> explains the conventions for the name mappings that exist
> in the Tomcat web server. An understanding of this seems
> to be assumed, but I have having difficulty seeing the
> logic behind a servlet/jsp URL and its actual location on
> the server directory tree.
>
> What do terms like path and docbase mean and are what are
> they relative to?

path = the URL prefix that will be handled by a context
docbase = the directory where the context files are located.

Inside docbase you have WEB-INF - which is mandated by Servlet2.2
API.

Inside WEB-INF you have classes, lib and web.xml  - all
fully defined in the servlet specification.

Costin

> I think I must be missing an architecture diagram here. Or
> something that makes the translation from url to filesystem
> and vice versa obvious.
>
> Also re the web-inf (WEB-INF) directory. Is that a mandatory
> name with some historical significance or will anything do?
> Are there other magic names I should be aware of?

Costin