tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/shell tomcat.bat tomcat.sh
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:10:51 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:

> > craigmcc    00/03/31 12:31:32
> >
> >   Modified:    src/shell tomcat.bat tomcat.sh
> >   Log:
> >   Support the passing of arguments to the "java" runtime when executing
> >   tomcat.sh or tomcat.bat, as follows:
> >
> >       TOMCAT_OPTS - passed to "java" on a start, stop, or run command
> >       ANT_OPTS - passed to "java" on an ant command
> >       JSPC_OPTS - passed to "java" on a jspc command
> >
> >   If these environment variables are not defined, they default to passing
> >   nothing (i.e. the current behavior).  Now you can customize the Java
> >   environment within which Tomcat runs, without having to hack the tomcat.bat/sh
> >   script yourself.
>
> For tomcat.sh - JAVA_CMD was there as a way to customize ( togheter with
> ~/.tomcatrc, where all options can be set without requiring the user to set
> env vars every time ).

You can, of course, set these options environment variables in your ".tomcatrc" file if you
have one -- it is processed first.
Also, $JAVACMD is used for all the startups, so using it for options as well is not necessarily
what the user wanted.  To say
nothing of the fact that it's only implemented in the Unix script.

> We can keep them both ( with JSPC_OPTS, etc as program-specific options ).

Personally, I like as much consistency as we can manage in the way that our scripts work from
the user's perspective, to help the
folks that have to go back and forth between platforms a lot.  Using the same enviornment
variables in the same manner does that
IMHO.

> Costin

Craig