tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: SUGGESTION: Make mod_jserv non-java-specific
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2000 00:55:56 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> "Kevin A. Burton" wrote:
> >
> > I can however see a use for something that needs to be "really fast".
> > An example of this would be in-memory CGI writen in C that could serve
> > dynamic pages (from a large in-memory DB).  JServ and Tomcat will never
> > come close to this.
>
> Hmmm... I don't know... My points on performances are failing in those
> days. Expecially comparing Java against C++ (ok, flame me privately,
> please!)
>
>         Pier
>
> UPS, You said C, not C++

:)

The other thing about running a very fast enterprise app in C is that
you get really close to the hardware and can do very specific things.
IE you don't run in a java process that can crash on you if you have too
many TCP connections or screw up on you if you run out of heap.
Honestly all VMs are far from perfect.  No VM except  TowerJ (which
isn't a VM) can handle more than like 2048 connections for long periods
without having problems (don't believe me check out volano's TCP
benchmarks... most crashed).

IMO until Java is OSS and natively compiled we can't advocate Java as a
100% everywhere solution.

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)