tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: SUGGESTION: Make mod_jserv non-java-specific
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:46:51 GMT
Jean-Luc Rochat wrote:
<snip>
> In fact there is nothing in mod_jserv specific to java if you use it in
> "manual" mode (without forking a JVM). One could easily write a TCP
> server in Perl or Python or C++ and develop the server-side ajp protocol
> to get a load-balanced app server. The strength of JServ or Jakarta is
> that the Servlet API is a standard, and people like standards.
> The benefit could be found with a load-balanced distributed ASP server
> ;-)

What you would have to do is set it to manual and write a AJP server
processes that listens on your defined port (normally 8007).  Normally I
would say there is no point since we already have the server process...
JServ or Tomcat.

I can however see a use for something that needs to be "really fast".
An example of this would be in-memory CGI writen in C that could serve
dynamic pages (from a large in-memory DB).  JServ and Tomcat will never
come close to this.

BTW Yahoo has a patent on the above (screw them!!!)

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org