tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Luc Rochat <j...@cybercable.fr>
Subject Re: SUGGESTION: Make mod_jserv non-java-specific
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 20:11:23 GMT
Talin wrote:

> There have been a number of attempts, such as FastCGI and others, to
> overcome the performance problems of CGIs, in particular the need to start a
> new shell process with each request. Most of these schemes involve something
> like mod_jserv, where an apache module communicates with a persistent
> process that holds the actual page generation code. However, each of the
> schemes I have seen is rather ad hoc, targeted towards a particular
> appserver implementation or a particular language. In other words, there's
> nothing along the lines of the CGI standard for "resident" programs.
>
> It occurs to me that there is very little in the mod_jserv and the apjxxx
> protocols that is specific to Java. Would it be possible to make a
> mod_appserver or something like this, based on mod_jserv, that would allow
> application servers to be written in any language?
>
> In other words, what I would like to see is a language-neutral application
> interface, along the lines of the CGI standard, except that it would be
> oriented towards application servers. The Apache module would be one
> implementation of this standardized interface.

In fact there is nothing in mod_jserv specific to java if you use it in
"manual" mode (without forking a JVM). One could easily write a TCP
server in Perl or Python or C++ and develop the server-side ajp protocol
to get a load-balanced app server. The strength of JServ or Jakarta is
that the Servlet API is a standard, and people like standards.
The benefit could be found with a load-balanced distributed ASP server
;-)

Jean-Luc