tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Wayne Elliott <wa...@ccis.adisys.com.au>
Subject Naming and Layout
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:08:20 GMT
I am curious. Does there exist some documentation that
explains the conventions for the name mappings that exist
in the Tomcat web server. An understanding of this seems
to be assumed, but I have having difficulty seeing the
logic behind a servlet/jsp URL and its actual location on
the server directory tree.

What do terms like path and docbase mean and are what are
they relative to?

I think I must be missing an architecture diagram here. Or
something that makes the translation from url to filesystem
and vice versa obvious.

Also re the web-inf (WEB-INF) directory. Is that a mandatory
name with some historical significance or will anything do?
Are there other magic names I should be aware of?

--
Wayne Elliott                             | wayne@ccis.adisys.com.au
ADI Limited                               | +61 8 9333 8889 (Fax)